[Yaffs] Re: YAFFS fs images not working the way I expect

Thomas Gleixner tglx@linutronix.de
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:48:55 +0200

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:32, David Wuertele wrote:
> Charles> I think this is falling down on the "dd" commands.  AFAIK,
> Charles> "dd" will be ignoring the OOB stuff which is required by
> Charles> YAFFS.  Go look in the mtd tools, I think there are some nand
> Charles> specific tools like damddump or some such that will also
> Charles> extract the OOB info.
>
> So are you saying that I won't be able to preload a YAFFS filesystem
> into my NAND flash unless my programmer can write OOB info???

OOB info is part of the filesystem. ECC is part of error correction in
the NAND layer. How should this work without ?

nandwrite from MTD/utils programs images with OOB info, ECC and is bad
block aware.

tglx