[Yaffs] YAFFS, DOC - newbie questions

Sudeep Jain jsudeep@yahoo.co.in
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:43:39 -0700 (PDT)

hello,

As part of my masters project, I am planning to
implement a new flash file system that shall be log
structured in nature. The goal is not to have a
production quality file system, but something that
allows me to demonstrate and contribute one or two key
ideas, and get results about optimizing
writes/reads/erases etc. As Ive never done any kernel
hacking before, neither have I worked with flash
memory, so I have no idea as to how difficult/easy
this job is going to be.

>From the hardware aspect, I need a flash memory
package that

a) has multiple flash chips within. (I need at least
3, preferably 4)
b) which hooks up into a standard interface (say
IDE/USB)
c) allows me access to write data on whichever (chip,
block, page) I want to.
d) Has all the lower level drivers in a pretty stable
condition.

>From these requirements, it appears that the M-Systems
Disk on Chip devices are the best, as they are
supported by MTD (are they ?), they hook up into a
standard IDE interface, dont emulate a hard disk, and
hopefuly (at least the larger disk sizes) have
multiple flash chips inside which I can then access in
parallel.

Questions
1) Can the DOC devices be changed to allow access by
the host system at a (chip, block, page) level ?
2) Do the MTD drivers work with DOC devices, and can
they provide this level of access ?
3) Do the MTD devices have multiple NAND chips inside
? How do I find how many there are ?

Thanks
Sudeep