Autor: Jens Rudberg
Para: Ross Younger
CC: yaffs
Asunto: Re: [Yaffs] using yaffs2 with software ecc
hi Ross, thanks for the clarification and info.
since I last used yaffs2 in 2011 there have been some updates even though much is the same.

trying to get the best nand performance on an mcu without a dedicated nand controller we will use a part with built in ecc.
the built in ecc scheme on our current chip leaves 4x4 ecc-corrected bytes for user data in the spare area which seems like a good place to put the tags.
other vendors have similar solutions but they may reserve the whole spare area for ecc, which would force us to go with in-band tags.
this would also make us immune to changes in density / ecc requirements (as long as slc nands with built in ecc are available).

jens