[Yaffs] cvs YAFFS + MTD cvs + 2.4.27-vrs1 problems

Charles Manning Charles.Manning@trimble.co.nz
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:48:00 +1300

Eraseall will not try to erase blocks marked bad. Anyway, the mtd will
also not allow this.

If I understand the thread properly, you want to erase blocks that were
marked bad by YAFFS but were not marked bad by manufacturing.

Attempting to erase a factory marked bad block **might** destroy the
flash and make is unusable.

To do this, I suggest doing the following:
* Modify eraseall to skip the check, as Thomas suggests. Instead of
checking for bad blocks, check for some other pattern to distinguish
between YAFFS-marked and factory-marked bad blocks. The actual patterns
used by factories depends on the make, part number etc but most often
the whole OOB area of a bad block will be zero. A YAFFS-marked bad block
will be zero only in the bad-block byte and only then in the first two
pages.=20

* You will also need to bypass the check in mtd.

-- Charles