[Yaffs] cvs YAFFS + MTD cvs + 2.4.27-vrs1 problems

Aras Vaichas arasv@magellan-technology.com
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:25:46 +1100

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 02:25, Aras Vaichas wrote:
>>Is there a utility that writes to every single page, reads back the data and
>>then marks the pages correctly?
> No.
>>Or are those "bad eraseblocks" permanently lost?
> You can hack nand_base.c to allow the erasing of the blocks which are
> marked bad.

Yes, I eventually realised that nand_base.c was stopping me from erasing the
badly marked blocks which means that there is no way to force the chip to erase
those blocks. I guess that this is a policy issue considering that it would be
unusual to create so many bad blocks except during development (like happened
to me).

What I am hoping now is that the write-verify code in YAFFS will rediscover
which blocks are actually bad and mark them as such.

e.g. in the YAFFS makefile, I keep this commented out
#IGNORE_WRITE_VERIFY = -DCONFIG_YAFFS_DISBLE_WRITE_VERIFY

Aras