[Yaffs] Reducing footprint in RAM

Reggiani, Adamo areggiani@ferrari.it
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:48:00 +0200

Hi Daniel,

> I need to reduce the footprint in RAM a lot (maybe by not storing the
> complete tnode-list in RAM and increasing pagesize etc.). Any=20
> suggestions
> how to do that???

has reported on the Yaffs2 document page =
www.aleph1.co.uk/yaffs/yaffs2.html , there's a work in progress to be =
able to arrange multiple pages in one chunk.
In this way you don't have to keep track of each page, but only of =
pages/pages_in_chunk reducing the ram footprint of the same factor.
I really don't know the state of the art of this work, but I think it =
could be done with some tricks to the current yaffs code.

> If you restart the system and you have a flash memory of 1GB,=20
> does the file
> system then have to read the whole memory to create the=20
> original state???

No, you need to access only the spare area of each page/chunk.
The less the chunks are, the faster is the yaffs_Scan function.

Hope to be helpfull
cu
Adamo