+ (text/html)
Author: de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)
To: Charles Manning
CC: yaffs@stoneboat.aleph1.co.uk
Hello,

I have some more questions that are popping up as I continue investigating this “flash read fails” issue.
You said that when bad read are detected, the block will be marked for later “cleanup”….

* Do you mean that the block will be reused, or retired (marked as bad)
* How is this done?
* Is it done through internal YAFFS memory structures (which will not survive a “format through erase all blocks”)? Or is this done through a “bad block marking”?
In my latest test, I have 256 pages that return bad reads, in 4 different blocks

* but I have not seen yaffs doing any bad block markings. Is this normal?
* When will yaffs mark block as bad? In which condition and at what time?

Thanks,
Cyrille