Autor: Patrice LAPORTE
A: yaffs@stoneboat.aleph1.co.uk
Asunto: [Yaffs] What a chunk ID of -1 means ?
Hi all,

Among other things I'm going back to some kind of "file system" investigation on our product, and I'm adding some trace.

One trace I have questions about is this one, from function "yaffs_rd_data_obj" : "chunk -1 not found, zero instead". The comment in the function tells that maybe we are reading a hole, so the buffer is memset to 0.

But in my case I'm 99% sure there is no way our app is creating files with holes.

Based on yaffs onli documentation (http://www.yaffs.net/documents/how-yaffs-works#How_various_mechanisms_work) : "ChunkId: Identifies where in the file this chunk belongs. A chunkId of zero signifies that this chunk contains an objectHeader. ChunkId==1 signifies the first chunk in the file (ie. At file offset 0), chunkId==2 is the next chunk and so on."

I can understand chunk 0 or more, but I can't find information about a chunk ID of -1. The messages look to be present at startup, maybe during mount/scanning, but I don't see them during normal life of the product.

Since I added this log, people are seeing them and some of them start to panic, and I have to understand :) But since the product is working very fine, I thing this -1 is normal, but I'd like to know what it means.

Is any one of you can make this chunk -1 more clear ?

Best regards
Patrice