Autor: Hunter Somerville
A: Charles Manning
Cc: yaffs
Asunto: Re: [Yaffs] Complete partition data loss on powercut during write
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Charles Manning <>
wrote:

> Hi Hunter
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Hunter Somerville <
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Charles Manning <>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Hunter Somerville <

>>> What kind of flash are you using? What part number?
>>>

>> The hardware is proprietary, and not designed by us. What I can tell you
>> is that we interface with an FPGA - not the flash chips directly. The FPGA
>> performs the writes.
>>

> Surely the flash parts are off the shelf.

I'm getting permission on this. They're Samsung parts.

We've discovered that mounting the partition as read-only after powerloss
demonstrates that the data is all present and correct, aside from the file
which was actively being written. I can read back any of the files and
verify their contents. If at any point I mount this partition as read-write
after the powerloss, yaffs appears to mark all blocks as unused and then
proceeds to garbage collect every block. My files all slowly disappear.

yaffs: Collecting block 3, in use 1, shrink 0, whole_block 0
yaffs: Collecting block 3 that has no chunks in use
yaffs: yaffs_block_became_dirty block 3 state 8
yaffs: yaffs_tags_marshall_read chunk 256 data ef1f0000 tags ef6f5cd8
yaffs: packed tags obj -1 chunk -1 byte -1 seq -1
yaffs: ext.tags eccres 1 blkbad 0 chused 0 obj 0 chunk0 byte 0 del 0 ser 0
seq 0
yaffs: yaffs_tags_marshall_read chunk 257 data ef1f0000 tags ef6f5cd8
yaffs: packed tags obj -1 chunk -1 byte -1 seq -1
yaffs: ext.tags eccres 1 blkbad 0 chused 0 obj 0 chunk0 byte 0 del 0 ser 0
seq 0
yaffs: yaffs_tags_marshall_read chunk 382 data ef1f0000 tags ef6f5cd8
yaffs: packed tags obj -1 chunk -1 byte -1 seq -1
yaffs: ext.tags eccres 1 blkbad 0 chused 0 obj 0 chunk0 byte 0 del 0 ser 0
seq 0
yaffs: yaffs_tags_marshall_read chunk 383 data ef1f0000 tags ef6f5cd8
yaffs: packed tags obj -1 chunk -1 byte -1 seq -1
yaffs: ext.tags eccres 1 blkbad 0 chused 0 obj 0 chunk0 byte 0 del 0 ser 0
seq 0
yaffs: Erased block 3

I can't yet figure out why it's marking these blocks as unused when there
are clearly files present. Any help on this matter would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Hunter